English Courses in Portsmouth, England
The ‘Open Group’ consists of a maximum of 4 participants from different companies. The group is mixed nationality but with homogenous language levels. The focus is on communication and intercultural exchange in the context of professional situations as well as improvement of grammar and vocabulary. The content of this course is based on the needs of the group.
Who’s this for?
This programme is aimed at students with a good communicative level who want to develop confidence and fluency. Subject to a comprehensive needs analysis of the participant’s requirements, special emphasis is placed on the relevant professional vocabulary, register, grammatical structures and pronunciation that are used in the participant’s work. As well as formal classroom teaching to learn English, study activities include roleplay, case studies and simulations, video and audio recorded simulations. In our Business English courses the focus is on practical & effective business English for professionals in communication and may include language and skills for:
- Meetings and Teleconferencing;
- Socialising and Networking;
- E-mail, Letter and Report Writing;
- Cross-cultural awareness;
- International leadership and management;
- Specialist vocabulary development.
Course duration can be for between 1 and 4+ weeks (2 weeks is the average).
- Minimum age: 25;
- Maximum class size: 4;
- 25 hours (60 minutes) per week, plus 5-10 hours self-access;
- Start any Monday;
- Minimum 1 week;
- All levels for 1:1 classes, minimum level lower-intermediate for group classes.
The programme is highly intensive and includes:
- 25 contact hours;
- 5 to 10 self-access study hours;
- Options for an extra 5 hours;
- 7.5 hours social English over optional teacher accompanied lunch per week plus optional evening social activities (such as restaurants, guided tours, live music, cultural events).
We would recommend that most students do a combination course:
- 1:1 in the morning, giving the students the opportunity to not only study English but work on individual and specialised needs necessary for executives and professionals;
- mini group of maximum 4 people the afternoon, focus is on professional communication in an international context with students of other nationalities and cultures.